I'm headed to Vancouver for a month to take a Life Coaching Summer Intensive course with Erickson International - I am so excited!
It's going to be the first time I prioritize life coaching for a whole month and really get to dive into it. I've also been a bit stressed about wanting to make the most out of my time there and not waste the opportunity. My coach, Keith Macpherson, noticed I was stuck in future-worries mode, feeling like I needed to have a plan for my time in Vancouver and what my business would look like after I returned. He was able to help me get back to the here and now by turning the focus back to my trip. What happens after that is for future me to decide.
He gave me a simple assignment of writing down things I am going to do and things I am NOT going to do in Vancouver to make the most of my experience. Writing this out really helped calm my mind and also allow me to get excited and actually plan for the trip.
Here is my list:
What I am going to do vs. not going to do to make the most out of my $7K (holy shit!) experiential education and trip to Vancouver.
I AM GOING TO:
- Talk to my instructors - get to know them, ask questions etc.,
- Make friends in the class - make an effort to get to know everyone
- Make friends with Barbara - the lady who is renting me a room
- Write about what I've learned each day - hopefully post this as a blog
- Take pictures of things I'm seeing and people I'm meeting - document the trip
- Practice the concepts taught in class
- Take notes
- Call home - sometimes I forget to do this
- Make plans with Vancouver Co-workers
- Make jokes
- Put myself out there
- Go for walks / explore & do yoga
- Smile at strangers - be the one to talk first
- Go with the flow - say yes to adventures
I AM NOT GOING TO:
- Let my saboteur (ego, fear etc.,) hold me back from meeting people
- Stress about work outside of work
- Worry about what other people think
- Feel guilty
- Feel like I'm not deserving enough to be there
- Feel like I'm not good enough to be there
After writing out this list I am clear about how I need to show up in order to make the most out of my time there. I feel at ease, excited, and motivated to look up fun things for me to do outside of the course. The worry about wasting my experience is gone and I can move on with my life!
Do you have an event coming up that would be made more awesome if you make a Do vs Not Do list? Give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments!